If you are a Fixer Upper fan, you’ve likely heard the real news by now that season 5 will be the last. I know, so sad!! But what a journey they have taken us on. How wonderful is it that there as been such a great uplifting show for us to experience!
I don’t personally watch much television, but I try to catch Fixer Upper when I can. Every show (even though its just on TV) I study Chip and Joanna. I love how they interact with each other. I love how they goof around, lift each other up and have real moments too. They are an encouraging couple to watch work together.
Of course, I don’t know them personally, but I do know that sometimes we have to take a break or change course when God says it’s time. This isn’t always easy. Actually it rarely is easy. But He always has a plan for us, one that is greater than we expect.
Not only will God let us know when it’s time to change course, but we have to realize too that we can’t keep running full steam ahead and let the rest of the world pass by us. Just as Chip and Joanna said, “We would be foolish to think we can go and go and fire on all cylinders and never stop to pause.”“This is just us recognizing that we need to catch our breath for a moment.” #fixerupper #marriage Click To Tweet
We need to realize that we must slow down from time-to-time. Even famous people realize this, “This is just us recognizing that we need to catch our breath for a moment.”
If you don’t recognize that you need to slow down, your marriage and family will suffer. You may have a very important career, somewhere you volunteer or a hobby you love. It may be something that is helping many others in very good ways. Even if it’s a good thing, too much of a good thing can cause problems elsewhere in your life if we’re not taking moments to pause.
Why is it important to slow down and catch your breath? Take note from the Gaineses, “our plan is to take this time to shore up and strengthen the spots that are weak, rest the places that are tired and give lots of love and attention to both our family and our businesses.”
We need to find the places where we are weak and strengthen them. We need to rest! Yes, rest!
Without strengthening and rest, we become weak and tired. God doesn’t want us to operate that way. He needs us for some important stuff!! And some of that stuff, is our marriage!!!
There have been many times that I work really hard, stay really focused and feel that I am doing the right thing, for a time, it is the right thing. But there comes a time that I get too focused on the job-at-hand and lose sight of a few important things in my life, like my husband and my children. God usually gives me some kind of wake-up call, it’s always good though! I’m learning to recognize the signs before I need Him to tell me.
So, do you need to slow down and catch your breath?
Are you so focused on a job that you don’t realize that your spouse or children need you? Are they asking for your time? Do you feel exhausted, frustrated and irritated most of the time? It may be time to slow down.
How can you be sure that you need to “catch your breath?”
1. Take it to God: Pray about it. Be patient and wait for Him to answer. Get in the Word and find out what is says about your situation. See what you are supposed to do. There is no problem that isn’t answered in the Bible!
2. If you need to stop a project or quit a job, talk to your spouse. Tell them how you are feeling. Let them know you need guidance and someone to stand by your side in making a decision.
3. Once you know what you are supposed to do, write down a plan of action to make any changes you need to make. Some changes could take time. Continue to use your spouse as support. Continue to seek God’s guidance and stay in the Word.
4. Refocus on your spouse and your children. Ask them what they have been missing from you. Ask them how they need you. Listen.
5. Our future is not known to us, don’t expect to have it all planned out. Take one day-at-a-time and live life today. Love those around you today. Have goals and dreams, but be willing to be flexible on a new journey.
Just when I thought that Chip and Joanna Gaines couldn’t teach me one more thing, I’m wrong! They have showed me and the world that we just need to slow down sometimes, to catch our breath, to focus on what really matters… family.
Thank you Chip and Joanna for the great years of encouragement and I look forward to visiting Magnolia Market again soon (for some my favorite cupcakes, ever!).
Sign up for the 31 Days to a Better Marriage by Email
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.